“This pasta is great when combined with garlic, some white wine and fresh artichokes.”
Serving: 6 | Ready in: 35m
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 4 large artichokes, trimmed
• 1 cup water, divided
• ½ cup dry white wine
• ¼ tsp. dried oregano
• Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 12 oz. whole-wheat penne, mostaccioli or rigatoni
• In a big saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat. Put in onion and cook while stirring for 5 minutes until limp and translucent. Put in garlic and cook while stirring for a minute.
• Slice the trimmed artichokes into thin wedges lengthwise; add artichoke wedges to the pan with 3/4 cup of water. Boil the artichokes. Lower the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes while covered, stirring occasionally, until the artichokes become soft. Raise the heat to high, put in oregano and wine; cook while stirring for about half a minute. Take away from heat.
• Move about 1/3 of the artichoke mixture to a food processor or a blender, put in the remaining a quarter cup of water and puree till smooth. Put the puree back to the pan with the remaining artichoke mixture. Add pepper and salt to taste.
• At the same time, follow the directions on the package in cooking pasta in a
big pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, just until it becomes soft. Strain and put in the artichoke sauce. Toss well, then serve.
• Calories: 288 calories;
• Total Carbohydrate: 55 g
• Cholesterol: 0 mg
• Total Fat: 3 g
• Fiber: 11 g
• Protein: 12 g
• Sodium: 206 mg
• Sugar: 3 g
• Saturated Fat: 1 g